When one thinks of motorcycle gear, the first word that usually pops out is ‘helmet‘. While this is very important for your safety, a lot of people forget about another essential protective gear – the motorcycle gloves. Here you will learn more about this life-saving yet usually neglected equipment, and how to buy the perfect pair (or two) for your motorcycling travails.
- 1 Why Do You Need Motorcycle Gloves?
- 2 What to Consider When Buying Motorcycle Gloves for men
- 3 How to Size your Hand for Leather Motorcycle Gloves
- 4 Types and Materials of Motorcycle Gloves
- 5 Top 5 Best Motorcycle Gloves Reviews
- 6 CARBON Fiber Motorcycle Mesh & Leather Race Gloves
- 7 Icon Pursuit Touchscreen Gloves
- 8 Fox Head Men’s Bomber Glove
- 9 Mechanix Wear M-Pact MPT-55 Synthetic Leather Gloves
- 10 StrongSuit 20300-M Voyager Leather Motorcycle Gloves
- 11 Conclusion
Why Do You Need Motorcycle Gloves?
If you are on a tight budget, you might think of foregoing buying the best motorcycle gloves. But before you make that brash decision, consider these reasons that make gloves just as important as helmets.
In the event of an accident, a person’s first instinct is to use his hands. Unless you are trained in martial arts or gymnastics, your first tendency is to break your fall with your hands. This is where the best motorcycle gloves come in handy. Without this contraption, you stand to lose a lot of blood – and endure a long, expensive hospitalization along the way.
Motorcycle gloves can protect your hands from extreme weather. As long as you have the right pair of gloves in tow, your hands can keep warm in winter – and cool during summer. For the rainy seasons, waterproof motorcycle gloves can keep your hands dry and warm as well.
I hope this guide will be helpful in picking the best winter 2018 motorcycle gloves to fit your needs. If you want to comment or recommend a pair of gloves, I didn’t include; please use my contact form to get in touch.
Have fun and be safe out there!
What to Consider When Buying Motorcycle Gloves for men
Now that you know the importance of gloves for cold weather, then you might be on the lookout for a pair that will do you justice. In order to get the best motorcycle gloves for your needs and predilections, make sure to factor these considerations before buying:
- Fit. As with everything, fit is an important thing to consider when buying motorcycle gloves. Just think about the saying ‘fit likes a glove.’ If it’s too small, it might restrict hand movement and cut off circulation, especially if you like taking long rides. If it’s too big, control will be an issue as well. With that being said, perfectly-fitting gloves will help you ride at your best. Do remember to purchase a product with a pre-formed palm for a snug yet comfortable fit.
- Comfort. As with fit, it is important to feel comfortable in your motorcycle gloves. Keep comfortable throughout your rides by choosing a product with flat seams or external stitching, so your hands won’t feel itchy.
- Length. Motorcycle gloves come in a variety of lengths, but remember that you are better off with a longer version. This will give protection to your wrist, which can be exposed to dirt and elements. Make sure to pick an item with a gauntlet, so that it fits over your motorcycle jacket. As an added bonus, it can prevent the rain and other elements from seeping in.
- Stitching. When it comes to buying the best motorcycle gloves, it is important to scrutinize the stitching of the product. It might be a good fit, but shabby stitching can render it damaged after just a few uses. You need gloves with good stitching – so it can endure hours of constant use.
- Weather. What’s the usual weather you are driving in? If you are always cruising in temperate climate, you are better off with meshed, ventilated gloves. But if you are always driving in colder areas, thermal or heated motorcycle gloves should be your top choices. Waterproof motorcycle gloves should be your top consideration especially if it’s often raining in your area.
- Protective Features. If you are going to invest in motorcycle gloves, then it is but essential that you pick the best products in the market. Choose items with good protective features, such as carbon-impregnated panels and inserts, SuperFabric, to name a few.
How to Size your Hand for Leather Motorcycle Gloves
As it has been said, fit is important for excellent control and hand movement. In order to get the right fit, you need to size your hand for motorcycle gloves. Here are several methods that can help you find the right size for your hands.
Tape Measure Method. As the name suggests, you need a tape measure to get the right size. Wrap it around the knuckles of the dominant hand, keeping your fist closed. This is important because the hand measurement expands when your fist is clench. Exclude the thumb when utilizing this method.
Afterwards, compare your measurement with this Alpha Glove Size chart:
Actual Hand Measurement
Alpha Glove Size
6 to 6.5 inches
6.5 to 7.5 inches
7.5 to 8.5 inches
8.5 to 9.5 inches
9.5 to 10.5 inches
10.5 to 11 inches
11 to 12 inches
Hand Outline Method. Another way to get your glove measurement is to compare your hand to a size outline. Place your hand on the diagram, making sure your index finger is at the border of the black line. You can get the chart and measurements at http://www.olympiagloves.com/blog/how-to-measure-your-hand-for-the-perfect-motorcycle-glove-fit.
As a general rule, ladies gloves are one size smaller than men’s gloves. For example, ladies’ small is equivalent to men’s medium. Ladies are advised to pick female-contoured gloves as these usually come with smaller finger openings.
Note: Do remember that different manufacturers have different size charts. For best results, make sure to refer to these charts before purchasing.
Types and Materials of Motorcycle Gloves
With the varying needs of consumers, the best motorcycle gloves are mostly made from a variety of types and materials. Here are the most common types, as well as the riding scenarios that fit them perfectly.
- Summer Motorcycle Gloves. As the name implies, these gloves are ideal for riding in temperate weathers. That’s because they are devoid of lining and other waterproofing capacities. These gloves are made from simple and thin leathers that promote ventilation in humid temperatures.
Summer gloves usually come in two styles: those with finger covers and the fingerless motorcycle gloves. The latter only offers protection to the palm and the wrist, thereby allowing freedom of movement and maximum control of the handles.
- Winter Motorcycle Gloves. Made for colder environments, the best winter motorcycle gloves are equipped with heavy and thick paddings. These materials prevent water seepage, so your hands remain dry and warm throughout your journey.
- Medium Weight Gloves. These gloves are in between the specifications of winter and summer motorcycle gloves. Preferred by most riders, these popular gloves come in different styles and variations.
- Rain Gloves. Like winter motorcycle gloves, rain gloves are covered with a special layer that prevents water seepage. However, the protective layer often gets the gloves slippery, which can be dangerous as it might lead to grip loss while on the road.
- Heated Motorcycle Gloves. A popular choice during the colder seasons, heated motorcycle gloves are powered products that come with heating elements. True to its’ name, these gloves can keep your warm during the bitter winters.
Different motorcycle gloves are also made from various materials. Here are the most common materials used for making such products.
- Leather Motorcycle Gloves. For as long as anyone can remember, leather motorcycle gloves have already been used in riding. In the early days, such products were made from cow hide. Today, they come in different thicknesses and grains. According to proponents, leather motorcycle gloves offer better protection, as they are softer, more durable, and easier to fix. While they are relatively inexpensive, leather gloves are not waterproof!
- Textile Motorcycle Gloves. Recently developed, textile gloves offer hand warmth and protection. Such gloves are often made of Ballistic Nylon or Kevlar. They are usually cheaper than the leather counterparts, and offer better protection too. Shrinking or color blending, which often occurs in leather motorcycle gloves, are eliminated in textile gloves.
Top 5 Best Motorcycle Gloves Reviews
If you are still confused as to what product to buy, then be guided by this top 5 motorcycle gloves review.
CARBON Fiber Motorcycle Mesh & Leather Race Gloves
If you are looking for the best motorcycle gloves in the market, then this Carbon Fiber product is what you need. Made from high-quality 0.8 millimeter cow hide, it offers good grip and exceptional durability.
These leather motorcycle gloves also come with Scholler Keprotec with Carbon Fiber around the knuckles, for ideal protection against friction and heat.
As if these are not enough, this product is also features mesh that provides excellent ventilation. In fact, it comes with eight air traps that help circulate air around your fingers – so your hands don’t end up sweaty after a long day of cruising.
Icon Pursuit Touchscreen Gloves
If you are looking for leather motorcycle gloves that allow you to use touchscreen gadgets right away, then this product by Icon Pursuit should be at the top of your list. It features a special Touchtec leather palm that enables you to use your tablet or smartphone – without having to remove your gloves.
While this is the foremost feature of the Icon Pursuit touchscreen gloves, there are many other aspects that will endear you to this product. For one, it is made with integrated knuckle armor and a Pittards sheepskin backhand for excellent fit. It also comes with expansion gussets that can promote flexibility while riding.
Fox Head Men’s Bomber Glove
If you are fond of long rides, then what you need is Fox Head Men’s Bomber Gloves. These best motorcycle gloves act as coats of armor, so your hands are protected no matter how long the journey might be.
These gloves provide the ultimate coverage, given its molded polycarbonate ballistic plate that shields the knuckles. As for the rest of your hands, they are well-covered as well as well-ventilated with the gloves’ excellent Pittards leather construction.
Of course, there’s more to life than just these features. The Men’s Bomber Glove also comes with more impressive aspects, such as a silicone lever grip, two-layer clarino palm and secure hoop-and-loop closure.
Mechanix Wear M-Pact MPT-55 Synthetic Leather Gloves
For the gloves that act as good as it looks, make sure to try the Mechanix Wear M-Pact MPT-55. Made from synthetic leather, it provides excellent protection as well as superb ventilation for your hands.
With its rubber fingers and knuckle guards, you can flex your hands well without worrying about protection.
Despite its leather-rubber construction, the M-Pact MPT 55 also boasts of excellent grip. In fact, you can grab your keys – and put them in your pocket – with these gloves still on. With its affordable price, it comes as no surprise why it is a favorite in this motorcycle gloves review.
StrongSuit 20300-M Voyager Leather Motorcycle Gloves
Yes, you can keep your hands protected and well-ventilated while riding – as long as you have a pair of StrongSuit 20300-L Voyager leather motorcycle gloves. Made from high-grade, drum-dyed cowhide leather, this product can defend your hands from the elements – while keeping it soft and unbelievably smooth.
Breathability is another key feature of these gloves, given the perforated mesh top and pre-curved fingers. With these characteristics, your hands don’t have to sweat a lot, no matter how long your journey might be.
If that is not enough, wait until you see its reflective piping. So even if you are driving in dark or nighttime conditions, you can remain visible. After all, it’s just as important to remain safe, especially in unpredictable road conditions.
After reviewing, I am sure you must have found your favorite one. Personally, I recommend you to give same preference which you provide the rest of riding gear like helmets and jackets, etc.
Now, you know about the type of motorcycle gloves so figure out which type you require? You can ask yourselves same questions which we insist you to consider before going to shopping and give some thoughts to the essential factors while doing online shopping for motorcycle gloves. These top 5 motorcycle gloves are worth to take a look. Just make sure the gloves you choose have safety protection, breathable material, and additional armor around fingers and palms to minimize the impact in case of a crash.
You know how important it’s for the safety and comfort of your hands to have a good pair of gloves. No matter you’re a hobbyist or pro rider, you need the type of gloves that will satisfy your particular needs. But if you are unsure of what kind of gloves you need, go with the BMW Genuine Motorcycle Riding Two In One Glove – the best motorcycle gloves, for any biker irrespective of their needs and expectations.