Every person who is a true bike rider loves their helmet as much as they love their motorbikes. The same way you need to take proper care of your bike and maintain it, you also need to properly take care of and maintain motorcycle helmets.
In the event that the interior liner of your helmet is not removable, the guide below will help you to know how to clean a motorcycle helmet at home:
- To clean the helmet you will require; shampoo or unscented bath soap and three cotton washcloths.
- Use a dry washcloth to wipe the whole helmet. This could be very beneficial in getting rid of the dust lying of the helmet’s body.
- Get all the removable parts out. These include the breath guard, cheek pads, visor etc.
- Use plain water to rinse the helmet so as to get rid of excessive dirt or dust.
- Get a washcloth, wet it and then squeeze out all extra moisture.
- Take the shampoo or unscented soap and use it to create on the washcloth foam-covered lather.
- With the soapy washcloth, wipe in circular motion the helmet’s outer layer.
- Get another washcloth, wet it and rinse out all extra moisture then use it to get rid of the soap on the helmet.
- To clean the inner lining of your motorcycle helmet, use the wet soapy washcloth to massage gently on the linings. Make an attempt to be as gentle as possible as being harsh on the linings might damage them.
- You could opt to either thoroughly rinse out all the soap or use the wet washcloth to wipe it all off.
- After you are through with all the above, use the dry washcloth to daub all the interior linings so as to get rid of the moisture. Continue with this until the linings are damp. When you are through with the above, leave the helmet out to naturally air dry.
In the event that you own motorcycle helmets that have either a shiny finish or special coating, you should opt for automotive cleaning products. However, you should never at any one time use any polishing products that are petroleum based owing to the fact that these have a very high potential of resulting in your helmet’s deterioration. The above are simply a number of very basic steps that can help you ensure that your helmet is properly cleaned at all times. Bear in mind that the helmet is a very important part of your riding gear and could at times be the difference between life and death in the event of an accident that it is vital that you take very good care of it.